#1 NSC39-8

NSC39-8

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 485 posts
  • LocationRural Hall, NC

Posted 15 September 2017 - 06:09 PM

I have had this kit for over two years after getting it off Ebay from SSB Resins.  I wanted to try something different after working on the ALCO PA's for almost a year.  So I pulled this out and started looking over.  

Here is the prototype:

Attached File  7160399868_f9797ebb5e_o.jpg   276.29KB   2 downloads                 Attached File  ny_nyc_fdny_retired_squad_41_(6).jpg   235.82KB   2 downloads

With the first close inspection of this model I was not impressed.  A lot of flashing to clean away, several holes in the casting to fill and sand and the cleaning.

The major parts:

Attached File  DSC_0001.JPG   106.28KB   2 downloads.        Attached File  DSC_0002.JPG   92.84KB   1 downloads.         Attached File  DSC_0003.JPG   80.66KB   2 downloads   

After I had filled a few spots I tried to apply some primer.  I had already washed the model with Dawn before I started any work.

Well it was not enough!  I had to scrub this model with Soft Scrub cleaner, not once, but three times in all to include a two day soaking.  Then Tamiya fine surface primer still wouldn't adhere to it.  I had to go buy automotive self etching primer for this baby!

In cleaning the flashing form some parts I finally gave up on the wheels and went looking for replacements(my Prototype side kicked in).  So, I found these parts:   http://www.mca-model-accessories.co.uk and ordered the wheels, a Kit from services steering axle and the etched windshield wipers, so another $150 in parts added to the $200 some for the model.  These wheels are turned aluminum just like the prototype and even came with scale bolts and nuts for the wheel lugs and nuts!

As I studied the prototype photos I noticed I need some other parts.  So I went searching Shapeways and found a guy that had these as well.  Small fire dept items like gated wyes  for hose lines and some handles.  He even created some new parts for me that I am still waiting on to order.  

This was also my first experience with 3D printed parts,  went well though.  Also my first experience with Alclad II paint, went well also(passenger cars coming up soon)!

I really didn't take many in progress shots but here is the near completed truck.

Attached File  fullsizeoutput_65.jpeg   144.05KB   1 downloads                                      Attached File  fullsizeoutput_66.jpeg   239.64KB   1 downloads

Attached File  fullsizeoutput_67.jpeg   113.15KB   1 downloads                                      Attached File  fullsizeoutput_68.jpeg   151.3KB   1 downloads

Attached File  fullsizeoutput_69.jpeg   112.82KB   1 downloads                                      Attached File  fullsizeoutput_6a.jpeg   190.92KB   1 downloads

Attached File  fullsizeoutput_6b.jpeg   198.21KB   1 downloads

When I got down to install the windows none of the cast parts would fit, go figure!  I set about cutting the windshields from .005 clear styrene.  this took several days to do and I kind of left them smeared on purpose.  I could never keep the windshields without smears for 20 years in the FD.

I still have to  add the handrails and other small details such as the water cooler and some hose in the front bumper.

Thanks for looking and I will be back in HO scale soon!

James Wall
Rural Hall, NC

#2 mrsocal

mrsocal

FORUM SPONSOR*

• PipPipPip
  • 792 posts
  • LocationNorth of Palm Springs, Ca.

Posted 15 September 2017 - 08:41 PM

James I think you did the NYFD proud. Fine work all around and for me.... the rims and lug nuts, man oh man I love the color pop. On the critics side, those factory tires need attention. For my thinking... If it's clean coming out of the station would they not be glossy with tire black or after a run... would they have snow mud or summer puddle dirt on them. Still over all you did it proud!!

0kRpc7g.jpg?1

Scotty
Railroads rule and airplanes drool

#3 SlowFreight

SlowFreight

FORUM SPONSOR

• Administrators
  • 904 posts
  • LocationWaiting for a plane, somewhere...

Posted 16 September 2017 - 10:40 AM

Resin kits are their own special challenges. In addition to the chronic need for more parts and better details, just getting them to fit together can be no fun. It came out great for all that work.

#4 NSC39-8

NSC39-8

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 485 posts
  • LocationRural Hall, NC

Posted 16 September 2017 - 02:31 PM

Scotty,

The tires, I forgot to add the tires came with the wheels and are from Italeri models and are close to real rubber.  The resin tires with the kit were as bad as the wheels.  I have yet to do much weathering on the models since it needs a few more items all it has is a dullcote finish for now.

If I find where I slung those tires and wheels I will take a photo for posting.

SlowFreight - Thanks!

James Wall
Rural Hall, NC

#5 modelmaker87

modelmaker87

FORUM SPONSOR**

• Administrators
  • 2,679 posts
  • LocationGastonia, NC

Posted 18 September 2017 - 01:44 PM

Nice stuff, James.

Cheers, Tony

Trifles make perfection and perfection is no trifle - Michelangelo

#6 SBcarshops

SBcarshops

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 11:35 PM

Wow the hard work really paid off and quite the homage as well. Love the project. Been a fan of Seagrave's as my hometown and where i went to school both have Marauders. I'm actually planning on recreating them in HO with some parts from Shapeways... sometime lol. But I digress excellent work. 

#7 NSC39-8

NSC39-8

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 485 posts
  • LocationRural Hall, NC

Posted 26 September 2017 - 02:15 PM

SB,

There is some nice 1/87 fire stuff coming off Shapeways.  I really want to invest in the Crown Snorkel I found that was made from the truck used in a lot of Emergency TV shows.  I am going to work with some nice cast stuff I got from Ralph Ratcliffe before he left the business so stay tuned.

Oh yeah, Thanks for the compliments!

James Wall
Rural Hall, NC

#8 SBcarshops

SBcarshops

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 09:07 PM

You are welcome. Fire Apparatus holds a place in my heart second only to Trains so I'm there with ya! The crown snorkel would be interesting. I've not seen too many snorkels my self but I know Sandusky had one (near my home town) and Kent has one (where I went to school) so I've gotten to see them here and there. Somewhere I know i have photos of them both but it has been about a decade lol. I know i would definitely be interested in seeing your progress and if i can ever get something started I will post as well lol! 

As for shapeways Ive found through facebook groups (Model Fire Apparatus page and Model Fire Apparatus /any scale) that Mott's Models (Store on Shapeways) has some great stuff and I know that's where I'll be getting my Marauder(s) from.

#9 SlowFreight

SlowFreight

FORUM SPONSOR

• Administrators
  • 904 posts
  • LocationWaiting for a plane, somewhere...

Posted 02 October 2017 - 09:15 AM

Yeah, Shapeways has probably the worst search function possible, so I'm always worried that the exact part I need is out there but I can't find it. If it weren't for forums and other groups, I don't know how you'd find stuff!

So did Ralph Ratcliffe stop making kits? I tried to order one of his trash truck bodies, but he never got back to me.

#10 NSC39-8

NSC39-8

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 485 posts
  • LocationRural Hall, NC

Posted 02 October 2017 - 04:41 PM

Slowfreight,

I finally got to talk to him over a year ago and he had family health problems.  I talked him to casting about 5 cabs and some bodies.  He did them for me and  after our conversation his website went down.  He was hopeful he could come back as he wanted to add some stuff to the fire section.

His castings are beautiful for HO scale.  I got the Ward LaFrance, Mack C95 and some Hahn cabs with various bodies.  I will try to match them to some Athearn frames and bodies as needed. 

For a Trash body you might try Don Mills.  I picked up a couple of Mack f-700 style road tractors and the IH TranStarII which are badly needed for a 70's themed layout.

James Wall
Rural Hall, NC