I have had this kit for over two years after getting it off Ebay from SSB Resins. I wanted to try something different after working on the ALCO PA's for almost a year. So I pulled this out and started looking over.
Here is the prototype:
With the first close inspection of this model I was not impressed. A lot of flashing to clean away, several holes in the casting to fill and sand and the cleaning.
The major parts:
After I had filled a few spots I tried to apply some primer. I had already washed the model with Dawn before I started any work.
Well it was not enough! I had to scrub this model with Soft Scrub cleaner, not once, but three times in all to include a two day soaking. Then Tamiya fine surface primer still wouldn't adhere to it. I had to go buy automotive self etching primer for this baby!
In cleaning the flashing form some parts I finally gave up on the wheels and went looking for replacements(my Prototype side kicked in). So, I found these parts: http://www.mca-model-accessories.co.uk and ordered the wheels, a Kit from services steering axle and the etched windshield wipers, so another $150 in parts added to the $200 some for the model. These wheels are turned aluminum just like the prototype and even came with scale bolts and nuts for the wheel lugs and nuts!
As I studied the prototype photos I noticed I need some other parts. So I went searching Shapeways and found a guy that had these as well. Small fire dept items like gated wyes for hose lines and some handles. He even created some new parts for me that I am still waiting on to order.
This was also my first experience with 3D printed parts, went well though. Also my first experience with Alclad II paint, went well also(passenger cars coming up soon)!
I really didn't take many in progress shots but here is the near completed truck.
fullsizeoutput_6b.jpeg 198.21KB 1 downloads
When I got down to install the windows none of the cast parts would fit, go figure! I set about cutting the windshields from .005 clear styrene. this took several days to do and I kind of left them smeared on purpose. I could never keep the windshields without smears for 20 years in the FD.
I still have to add the handrails and other small details such as the water cooler and some hose in the front bumper.
Thanks for looking and I will be back in HO scale soon!